November 30, 2024

DONALD TRUMP

 [][][]

Image
Via Annie

In These Times - “I am the king of debt, I do love debt,” Trump told CNBC in 2016. ​“I love debt, I love playing with it.”

Billionaires like Trump don’t face critique and stigma for their debt the way the rest of us do, even when, in this President-elect’s case, the debt is a staggering $346 to $455 million. Trump and the wealthy elites, unlike most debtors, are also often able to play games with their debt to leverage even more wealth — and then the debts are somehow used as evidence (like Trump’s previous bankruptcies) that they are shrewd businesspeople. It often works, so that when Trump says things like ​“You’re talking about something that’s very, very fragile, and it has to be handled very, very carefully,” it can sound like sage wisdom despite being shallow nonsense.

Meanwhile, more than 75% of U.S. households owe banks and creditors an average of more than $100,000 in debt, a total that has risen to around $18 trillion. Most of those households owe multiple kinds of debt — from medical bills to student loans to credit card debt — and don’t have enough savings to cover a $400 emergency expense. 

 

No comments: