January 15, 2023

A speech worth hearing

 Sam Smith -  As I regularly do, I turned on the TV this morning as I began to eat lunch  and there was President Biden giving a speech. My first reaction, as it regularly is, was to turn off the speech and find some real news. But there was something in Biden's manner and words that left me listening to the end. He was at Ebenezer Baptist Church observing Martin Luther King Jr. Day. King served as the church’s pastor in the 1960s. The current pastor is U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-GA). 

I soon realized this was not just another ghost written speech, it was something from deep inside the heart and as I listened I realized that Biden, although younger than me, had been introduced like me to the civil rights movement when in his twenties and he was describing not only some of his feelings but mine as well. As he said when his grandfather would say, "keep the faith," his grandmother would say, "No, spread the faith."

You can find it here. It's about 30 minutes long.

No comments: