September 20, 2020

As they were saying....

Via Sam Hunneman

Senator Lindsey Graham

"I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."

Senator Ted Cruz

"It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don't do this in an election year."

Senator Cory Gardner

"I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision."

Senator Marco Rubio

"I don’t think we should be moving on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term  —  I would say that if it was a Republican president ."

Senator Rob Portman

"It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it’s been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year."

And a number of senators have weighed in even more recently:

Senator Lisa Murkowski, just yesterday:

"I would not vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee. We are 50 some days away from an election."

Senator Chuck Grassley in May:

"You can’t have one rule for Democratic presidents and another rule for Republican presidents."

Senator Susan Collins very recently:


"I think that’s too close, I really do," when asked about appointing a justice in October.

No comments: