May 22, 2019

Bookshelf: Drunk at the State Department: A Memoir

Sam Smith - William V. P. Newlin has written a gripping book, Drunk at the State Department, about living a respectable career as a State Department official in places ranging from Washington and Paris to Guatemala and Nice even while also living the life of a heavy alcoholic who spent considerable time hiding this from his wife, his children and his bosses. Just one example:
"One of my favorite spots was in an alley right across from the State Department headquarters. A window air conditioner jutted into the alley, and there was just room for a half-pint bottle to slip up under the unit onto the sill. It was invisible, yet easy to retrieve and replace. That was perfect until one day, when I reached confidently for my hidden treasure, only to find a void. Some scoundrel had discovered my hidey-hole and beaten me to it. I continued to use that spot, and more often than not, my bottle was untouched, but from time to time the phantom boozer had beaten me to the punch. I deeply resented him"
A long time friend, I was among those who had no idea of Bill Newlin's second life. An extremely likeable and easy to talk with guy, I was both stunned and fascinated by his book, in part because he wrote it in a manner not unlike a good reporter: he let facts rather than emotion tell the story. Journalist William V,P. Newlin describing Bill Newlin.

I grew up in a heavy drinking family. Like Newlin I went to Harvard and drank too much there. But I gave up drinking more than 25 years ago and never really understood what life was like as an alcoholic, including attempting to break from it. Newlin finally gave up drinking even further back. and this book, devoid of any preaching,  helps you understand how this happened  including the critical role played by his loving wife.

No comments: