February 25, 2019

New Jersey expands family leave act

Talk Poverty -New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) signed into law dramatic improvements to New Jersey’s paid family leave law. The law doubles the length of paid family leave available to 12 weeks, increases the average weekly benefit to $859 from $632, improves supports for domestic violence survivors and their families, and more.

One of the most exciting policy advances is that the bill updates the definition of “family” to people who “have a close association with the employee which is the equivalent of a family relationship,” making New Jersey the first state in the nation to extend paid family leave benefits to chosen family. This new law will particularly improve the economic security of workers who are LGBTQ or who have a disability, as these workers are most likely to be forced to make the impossible choice between caring for a chosen family member and taking home a paycheck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha!

Where I worked, we had to apply for FMLA, and I was told that I "didn't qualify". I took care of my mother.

I was told later, after I had quit, that I should have just taken a day off, called to work explaining that I was taking a FMLA-day, and wait-and-see what would transpire. That way the issue would have been Forced, and results recorded.

Day late, dollar short...