June 26, 2018

Just a thought

Sam Smith - Since the beginning of the Trump disaster, I've been trying to figure out why it seemed so obvious to me that the new president was a incompetent, lying con artist while so many were fooled by him. My initial explanation was that I had reached maturity before television had become the major source of political impression, as opposed to what a politician had actually done for your community or people like you. But a simpler explanation has just dawned on me: I come from a generation that learned about life in no small part from comic books and Donald Trump is the classic example of the sort of comic book character you learned at a young age to stay away from. I have long thought comic books were America's great underrated service to literacy since the images were a dramatic explanation of what words meant, but now I think they were a big service to sanity as well.

No comments: