March 29, 2018

Trump regime dismantling fair housing laws

New York Times -The Trump administration is attempting to scale back federal efforts to enforce fair housing laws, freezing enforcement actions against local governments and businesses, including Facebook, while sidelining officials who have aggressively pursued civil rights cases.

The policy shift, detailed in interviews with 20 current and former Department of Housing and Urban Development officials and in internal agency emails, is meant to roll back the Obama administration’s attempts to reverse decades of racial, ethnic and income segregation in federally subsidized housing and development projects. The move coincides with the decision this month by Ben Carson, the secretary of housing and urban development, to strike the words “inclusive” and “free from discrimination” from HUD’s mission statement.

Advocates for the poor and career HUD officials say that Mr. Carson, a retired neurosurgeon, and his political appointees have begun weakening the department’s fair housing division at a critical moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not much new there. Years ago, after I retired, I was turned down for housing allegedly on the grounds that my social-security wasn't enough. I could demonstrate that for years I'd been paying more than they wanted in rent, but it made no difference.

So I contacted the office of good ol' Barney Frank for help. And was told that I should just look for housing elsewhere. When I asked about equal housing opportunity, I was told that Frank doesn't believe in that.

"It makes a body want / to just go out and rob / for it's hard times in New England, in New England very hard times"