July 28, 2017

Millennials only watch ads for 5-6 seconds

CNBC -A new study by comScore revealed online ads targeted toward millennials have to be around 5 to 6 seconds to be effective, a sharp contrast from the traditional 30-second commercial seen on TV.

"The length of time of an episode or a viewing period is really important and has got to be short, otherwise you just won't keep the attention of millennials," comScore CEO Gian Fulgoni told CNBC's "Squawk Alley."

The format of advertising may have to be radically changed to reach millennials, he suggested.

Millennials are spending the majority of their online time on mobile, according to the new study. Millennials said they spent 61 percent in smartphone apps and 8 percent on the mobile web. A quarter of their time was on desktop, and just 5 percent was spent on tablets

1 comment:

Scott Langill said...

I think the real problem is the ads themselves or their lack of creativity. I don't watch broadcast or cable teevee, and I use Adblock. Of the video ads that sneak through if it doesn't grab me in six seconds or less I skip it. Where is Stan Freeburg et al? But then I think I read in one of Marshall McLuhan's books that the average viewing time for a magazine ad was 2-3 seconds.