June 4, 2016

Shameless Washington

Intercept

Leading Democratic super-lobbyist and Hillary Clinton bundler Heather Podesta derided President Obama’s lobbying reforms, while laughing off concerns about her own sky-high compensation.

“I think Obama hurt himself by taking such an arms-length posture with the Washington community,” Podesta, a multimillionaire who has represented chemical companies, health insurers, and for profit-colleges, told Vox’s Ezra Klein. “By attacking Washington in that way, there was a bit of a brain drain. And a lost opportunity.”

As for the idea of taking money out of politics, “I just find it preposterous,” she said. It is “not the lobbying class that keeps people from taking hard votes, it’s the member themselves,” Podesta claimed.

The interview was held on Facebook, and a question came in from a viewer: “If lobbyists don’t have more power and influence than a regular person, why are lobbyists paid so much?”

“I think we’re not paid enough,” Podesta replied with a smile, as she and Klein shared a laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gee Sam and you think I should vote for HilClin if she is the nominee? I would rather cast a vote for my Chihuahua.