September 21, 2026

Our brief life on earth

Sam Smith – With my 89th birthday less than two months away, I’ve been thinking about how many of my life’s experiences are soon to disappear. Fortunately, I’ve been a writer so many will still be somewhere online or in print  but I’ve come to think of life as much like the scores of jazz gigs I played when I was younger but now can’t remember at all.  And I started journalism as a radio reporter often writing nine newscasts a day, telling tales that would within hours no longer considered worth remembering.

It’s a part of life’s story – our temporary nature - that doesn’t get as much attention as it should.  We are all temporary on this earth.

I’m married to a historian so I’ve learned not to ignore this. I go from day to day trying to remember important things that no longer qualify as news but help tell the story of our lives. I’ve also kept account of how many friends, relatives, news makers, or just good folk I knew  who have passed away and the number has passed 200.

Some days, weeks, months or years ahead, I will also have passed away but I’ve at least left some tales and experiences where they can still be found. I feel good about this and urge you to tell your own stories while there is still time.

No comments: