Sam Smith – During more than four decades of covering the capital, one of the things that fascinated me was how the national media ignored local stories. As Wikipedia notes, “Washington, D.C. has had several notable Black mayors, with Marion Barry being one of the most prominent, serving multiple terms from 1979 to 1991 and again from 1995 to 1999. The current mayor is Muriel Bowser, who has been in office since 2015.”
Although mostly ignored by the
national media, ethnic relations were notably different in DC. One cause were
matters that joined ethnic groups
together such as home rule and freeways.
For a native Washingtonian like me, there was nothing unusual in this.
For example, in the 1960s I was helping black activist Marion Barry
handle media issues.
Lately, I’ve been struck by
current matters being poorly defined by the mass media, namely those in which
local positions and problems are ignored in favor of those preferred by major
political personnel. Thus, for example, the cost of gas is considered far less
important than what Trump has to say today.
In part, thanks to my long experience with
local and national Washington, I am struck by how matters that affect humans on
a daily basis are so frequently ignored by the media. For example, when I scan
the news I look for stories that will
directly affect ordinary Americans and, on a daily basis, I am repeatedly
disappointed.
I have come to think that there
are two Americas: one belonging to the powerful, the rest to just plain people.
I try to find what is happening to ordinary Americans but find little news
assistance.
One of the things I learned in Washington
was to search out the local because the reality of life doesn’t only belong to
newsworthy but to far less covered aspects of being such as what churches,
schools, communities, and local organizations are up to. Now living in small town Maine, I see this daily. I haven's met anyone as rotten as Donald Trump.
Unfortunately, us small times aren’t
going to find a lot of the real because our society has chosen to let itself
be defined by television, the internet, and mass promotion. But if you want to
help save a decent America take another look at things that did work, like the
1960s, and don’t define life only by
what the bigshots say today.
No comments:
Post a Comment