August 17, 2026

Recovering real values - from those we learned on TV

 Sam Smith - Every day I finish my national online newsletter and then turn to life in my small Maine town. This used to be just a shift in work but increasingly it has become life in two contrary societies, one  an increasingly collapsing and corrupt nation and the other a vigorous and enjoyable community.

I look forward to early afternoon because I feel like I’m retrieving my real life. Yet I am also aware that this shift is shared with millions of other Americans and hardly ranks as a solution since tomorrow morning I will be back in hell.

Scholars and journalists are rightfully confronting the collapse of an America now defined in no small part by the rich and powerful. The fact that there is another more decent and useful place gets little attention.

Yet I find myself regularly involved with decent people, kind groups, and warming spirits. And increasingly my mind is suggesting that the real conflict is between a good America and a destructive one. Both involve us.

As I ponder the hidden conflict that defines us these days, I have come to credit television with deserving much the blame. Although TV  has done some positive things, like introducing white America to blacks, it has also  taken time away from neighbors, communities, groups and other forces that create positive change.

I go back far enough to have experienced movements and coalitions of real people helping other real people even if we were quite different.  For example this white guy worked with black activists in the 1960s and I was a seventh day agnostic who joined with ministers who had common goals. You don’t have such experiences just watching a screen in your bedroom.

Donald Trump is a  creation of television politics and a clear example of the dangers involved. We need to go back to seeing, talking and thinking about life from a community rather than a televised creation. On average, we are still far better than Donald Trump. We need to win back our real America and define ourselves and our goals by our community, good groups, religion, local politics  and anything else more valuable than what we we just saw on Channel 8.

No comments: