NY
Times - Federal agents around the country were told in recent days that
the F.B.I. would no longer investigate confrontations with immigration agents —
cases that sometimes yield evidence that could be used to prosecute Department
of Homeland Security agents implicated in violent encounters, according to
people briefed on the decision.
If enacted, such a change would
sharply limit law enforcement scrutiny of immigration agents, as the Trump
administration draws mounting criticism over killings at the hands of federal
officers. In the last two weeks, two fatal shootings by Immigration and Customs
Enforcement agents in Texas and Maine have thrust the government’s tactics back
into the spotlight.
F.B.I. managers around the
country received a written notice informing them of the change on Thursday,
according to the people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of
anonymity to describe internal communications. The same day, some ICE agents
around the country were notified by their F.B.I. counterparts.
No comments:
Post a Comment