March 13, 2018

Kentucky state police try to censor press

Activist Post - Local media outlets are speaking out after they received emails from a [Kenutcky] state police spokesperson demanding that they wait for a press release from the police department before publishing stories about ongoing investigations, which implies that the outlets are prohibited from using a narrative that is different from the one chosen by police.

The Mountain Advocate newspaper and a Bell County radio station received an email from Kentucky State Police spokesman Shane Jacobs, in which he started out by writing that he personally has “a great working relationship with the media,” but that all of the inquiries he receives from media contacts take time away from his personal life and add to his apparently busy schedule.


Jacobs then demanded that the media outlets wait until an official press release is sent to them before including any details of an ongoing investigation in published stories, social media posts, or on the radio. He claimed the goal was to keep from spreading “inaccurate information from Sheriff’s or anyone else,” and threatened that if the media outlets did not follow his demands, they would be removed from his distribution list.
From this point forward when KSP is working an investigation, you are to wait until OUR (KSP) press release is sent out before putting anything out on social media, radio, and newspaper. No more posting inaccurate information from Sherrif’s or anyone else. I don’t care to confirm something and then get a release out later. Authority of my supervisors, if this continues, you will be taken off our media distribution list. Thanks Shane.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog.

A great read. I'll definitely be back.

Anonymous said...

I'll right away grab your rss feed as I can't in finding your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service.
Do you've any? Please permit me realize so that
I could subscribe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I don't know whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone
else experiencing problems with your site. It appears as if some of the written text on your
content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and
let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a problem with my internet browser because I've had this
happen previously. Thanks

Anonymous said...

My family members every time say that I am killing my
time here at net, however I know I am getting knowledge every
day by reading such pleasant articles or reviews.

Sam Smith said...

to subscribe by email go to
http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=prorevfeed&loc=en_US

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to
this excellent blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS
feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates
and will share this website with my Facebook group.
Chat soon!

Anonymous said...

Because the admin of this website is working, no hesitation very quickly it will
be renowned, due to its feature contents.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, i love a clean slate daily too.

Sam Smith said...

Here's the donation link

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=BSUi1nnvO5hAmYDOAyqoxyHUE69nMI8HU4IQePSOYNunVXTbAVAx_IBH4YFeS4pmPrAhU0&country.x=US&locale.x=US