March 31, 2017

Biden says GOP senators told them they blocked Garland out of donor fear

Fox News - Joe Biden claimed Thursday that nine Republican senators privately told him their party was wrong to block President Obama’s Supreme Court pick last year, but the former vice president glossed over the fact that the GOP was following a precedent often attributed to him.

Biden said the Republican senators he spoke to said they blocked Merrick Garland's nomination to take the place of Justice Antonin Scalia because they were afraid of a donor backlash,

“I call 17 Republicans and say, ‘You know better,’” Biden said, while speaking at the University of Pennsylvania. “Nine of them said to me, ‘You’re right Joe, but I can’t do anything about it because if I do the Koch brothers or somebody is going to drop $5 million into my race and I’ll lose my primary.’”

No comments: