November 2, 2015

Paul Ryan and Ayn Rand: what the mass media isn't telling you

Public School Shakedown  - Paul Ryan has on numerous occasions extolled the virtues of his Ayn Rand philosophy.  In fact, in 2005, he said he makes every new staffer read Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead, because, "I grew up on Ayn Rand. Everybody does their soul searching and try find out who they are and what they believe. I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems and beliefs are... its inspired me so much that I've made it required reading in my office."

"The reason I got into public service, by and large, the person I'd have to credit is Ayn Rand."

You can see where Ryan got his idea that taking away Food Stamps would help the poor feel more motivated to work, and that tax policy should help society's "makers" (big corporations and the rich), not the "takers" (children, the elderly, and the poor.)

Most Americans would be appalled by Ayn Rand if they saw her philosophy of radical selfishness up close.

Paul Ryan on Ayn Rand
A 1959 interview with Ayn Rand 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only in America could a guy who got through college on SSI benefits and who never held a real private sector job in his life end up being the "Ayn Rand" Speaker of the House.


As the saying goes, you can't make this stuff up.