October 21, 2010

SHOP TALK: JUAN WILLIAMS

Sam Smith

I know how Juan Williams feels. Some 24 years ago, after being asked to write a story for a hyper cautious liberal publication, I also was dumped . . . and replaced by Juan Williams.

The topic was Marion Barry and the request had come from Charlie Peters, editor of the Washington Monthly. I told him that I would be glad to write the piece but that I wasn't going to trash Barry. And I suggested a headline, "Failing the Faith." We set up a lunch to discuss it.

I had known and worked with Marion Barry from his start in DC, but by this time, he had told a local radio reporter, "Sam's a cynical cat." In 1986 I told Philadelphia Inquirer that Barry had "basically done to ethnicity what Ronald Reagan has done to patriotism. He's turned it into a personal preserve."

But I still saw that it was a complex story and was going to tell it that way. A few days later, Peters canceled the lunch at which we were to discuss the article and never got back to me. The next thing I knew, the Washington Monthly ran an article by Juan Williams fully trashing Marion Barry and using a slightly familiar headline - "A Dream Deferred: A Black Mayor Betrays the Faith." Williams was on his way to the big time.

For me it was one more lesson in why one shouldn't trust hyper cautious liberals.

No comments: