January 11, 2017

Sessions can't remember whether he got award from the KKK

The Slot - Asking Sessions whether he believed in the ideologies of various organizations that have in the past awarded his service, including one in 2014 from David Horowitz’s anti-immigrant organization, [Senator Richard] Blumenthal straight up asked whether he’d ever received “awards from the Ku Klux Klan.”

The room audibly gasped, and Sessions looked stunned. “Well, I won’t receive it from Henry Hays, I’ll tell you that,” he said, referring to the KKK leader he helped prosecute in 1986 (though a colleague recently said Sessions wanted to “drop the case”). After some crosstalk, Sessions seemed to devolve into jibberish: “I will just say, I’ve received hundreds of awards. I... probably somehow should have made sure that any Johnson jumping off Niagara Falls, I should have reported that, probably,” he said. “So I would just say to you, I have no motive in the denying that I received those awards.”

Then Senators Chuck Grassley and Lindsay Graham fell all over themselves to talk about how of course, no one would remember all the awards they received. Even, apparently, from the KKK!

No comments: