Seattle Times - The Clyde Hill Board of Adjustment ruled Wednesday night that [John] Olerud's neighbor to the west must remove two trees because they unreasonably obstruct Olerud's view of Lake Washington and the Seattle skyline.
The board's 3-2 order is the first time the city has told a resident to cut down a tree under a 1991 "view obstruction and tree removal" ordinance.
...Bruce Baker, a Presbyterian minister and a professor of business ethics at Seattle Pacific University, said his reaction was one of disbelief, but he didn't know if he would appeal the decision to the City Council.
"I'm going to need to think that over. It's so fresh and shocking I haven't had time to react. I'm still stunned," Baker said Thursday.
An appraiser hired by John and Kelly Olerud said their $4 million home would be worth $255,000 more if the rare Chinese pine and the Colorado spruce across the street were cut down and replaced with smaller plants. The Chinese pine's value is estimated at more than $18,000.
Toronto Star - A York Region mother is fighting to have oak trees removed near her child’s school, fearing that acorns could pose a deadly threat to students with severe allergies.
Donna Giustizia said the young trees on property owned by the City of Vaughan next to St. Stephen Catholic Elementary School are littering the area with acorns. The school, meanwhile, is nut-free to protect students with potentially life-threatening anaphylactic allergies.
.... Dr. Paul Keith, an allergist at McMaster University, said acorns, if ingested, could trigger a reaction in someone allergic to tree nuts. But acorns are bitter and generally not eaten in North America, he pointed out. “The only situation I could see is if they were bullied and forced to eat them,” said Keith. “You really have to eat them to have a reaction.”
Dr. Maria Asper, a pediatric allergist at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children, said skin contact with an allergen could cause a local reaction like redness or hives.
“I’m not aware of any reports of children having an anaphylactic reaction upon contact with acorns, so I’m not sure what the risk really is,” said Asper. “For the most part, as long as they’re just handled and not ingested, there’s no scientific literature to suggest anyone has had a reaction.”